Should You Refinance?
When you refinance your mortgage, you're actually replacing it with a brand new loan. In doing this, expect to go through a mortgage application process similar to what you experienced with your original mortgage. Refinancing is often a sound financial choice that can allow you to meet a variety of needs:
- Reduce your monthly payments by taking advantage of lower interest rates or extending the repayment period.
- Reduce your interest rate risk by switching from an adjustable-rate to a fixed-rate loan or from a balloon mortgage to a fixed-rate loan.
- Reduce your interest cost over the life of your mortgage by taking advantage of lower rates or shortening the term of your loan.
- Pay off your mortgage faster (accelerating the build-up of equity) by shortening the term of your loan.
- Free up cash for home improvements or to consolidate debts.